- Winemakers: Josef Schenter and Julia Nather
- Village: Thürneustift
- Hectares: 8
- History: family winery in the third generation, separate label since 2015
- Farming Practices: in conversion to Organic (by 2021) and Demeter (by 2022)
- Varietals: Müller-Thurgau, Portugieser, Grüner Veltliner, Riesling, Frühroter Veltliner, Zweigelt
- Top Vineyards: Goldnagel, Hiesberg, Steinleiten
I met Josef and Julia at a Reggae festival in the woods on the northern edge of the Kamptal, as one does. Julia had the most perfect 14-month-old strapped to her chest, and Josef had a backpack full of killer, nerdy wines from all over. After a couple of hours sipping said wines and dancing in the forest, I had the nervy elation of a freshman in college who had just met her new crew.
In Sumerian mythology, Nibiru is the 10th planet in our solar system, orbiting the sun in the opposite direction and only passing through the inner solar system every 3,600 years. This legend captures so much of Josef & Julia’s creative vibe – they go their own way, and that way is both stunningly beautiful and absolutely unique in the universe.
These wines are a one-two-three punch, if I can make that a thing. They start with an explosive bouquet, follow with a totally electric minerality, and leave you with that rare textural beauty you find in your happiest tasting moments and chase forever after.
Nibiru’s Rieslings and Grüners are real stunners, especially from their old vines, but what’s really close to my heart here is from the often overlooked varietals – Müller-Thurgau, Portugieser, and Frühroter Veltliner. They treat these outsiders with the respect they deserve, and the results are completely unforgettable.